Saturday 30 May 2015

From crit to cross in 24 hours

Holiday - ‘An extended period of leisure and recreation especially one spent away from home or in travelling’ or

so says the Oxford dictionary.
Being a teacher gives me a half term holiday and I think I can safely say that I am living up to the definition of holiday;-  4 races in 7 days - leisure and recreation, questionable maybe ;) - two of which are at opposite ends of the country - travelling.


Don’t worry I’m not going to bore you with four race round ups (click here for a serious blog on the Tour Series Round 2 at Motherwell) - but here is my blog on ‘Behind the Scenes’ at round 2 of the Matrix Fitness GP  series and my very first ever cyclo-cross race.
Motherwell, Round 2 of the Matrix
Fitness GP Series, May 27. A fair hike away from where any of us live, so a good reason for some team building (party!) for a couple of days up in bonny Scotland. Travel plans in place, accommodation sorted out (thanks Nic!) and off we went to the Holiday Inn in Hamilton arriving on the Monday evening.  The evening was spent spotting members of the JLT Condor squad and Pedal Heaven who were also stopping at the Holiday Inn, wining and dining in style at Frankie and Bennys  - think it was Shiraz the first night ;), watching Britain’s Got Talent and dying hair, yes, I kid you not, though Nic didn’t seem to want the fluro pink dye kit that was on sale in Asda despite a lot of encouragement from Sandra and myself.

Tuesday dawned and race day arrived. After a good breakfast, with Sandra daring me to ask Ed Clancy - who was sitting at an adjacent table - if he had clean white socks on, we kitted up and went for a course reccy. 
I will just say that it was a superbly organised race, fantastic being able to race with team mates which gives you the motivation to keep riding hard for each other, and having support on the course, thanks Stewart. See Stewarts perspective of supporting us at the Tour series here.

Race over, it was back to the hotel for showers, and round two of hair-dying!! Nic was convinced she was ginger, not that I could see any similarity between her hair colour and mine - what’s wrong with ginger anyway? Then it was out for a relaxing Mexican meal washed down  this time with Rioja to round off the day.  And so our adventure in Scotland drew to a close with alarms set for an early departure in the morning…….
My only regret was not asking Ed Clancy how white his socks were, but judging by the cleanliness of his trainers, I would guess an extreme ‘glow in the dark’ white! Just as they should be for cyclists!


Ok so home from Scotland, and a couple of hours to unpack and re-pack then drive to Leeds for my first ever  cyclo-cross race! Drizzling rain, turning torrential, howling wind as I drove across made me question my sanity again! Think this is becoming almost a daily event at present, and I don’t mean the weather!! On arrival, I signed on, picked up a race number and transponder before being advised that it was best to ride the course before the junior races started at 1900.  Please bear in mind that I haven’t ridden off road for over fifteen years discounting the one hour spent on my new cross bike last week!  

Off I duly went on a course pre-ride.  Newly cut wet grass, surface definitely bumpier that the road, ok can cope with that, and then the ‘obstacles’ started.  Firstly, a small steep bank. Taking a good run at it, attacking it true road style standing on the pedals - I will get up it! - I ground to a halt half way. Oops! Not the right technique obviously!!  Next, some small drop-offs into sand. Two of them!!

  Well you know the Badminton Horse Trials when a horse refuses to jump a fence and shies away……..you got it, that was me going into these!! Trying to look cool I dismounted – need to learn the leg sling technique  for the next race ;)-  pretended to adjust my gears whilst watching some other riders take these. 
 So second attempt;  shut eyes, not good, open them again, down, across and out….  2nd one ….down across and out…..phew! Got it! J
 Then, ‘The Big Sand Bunker’  and I did enjoy feeling the bike move around finding its line and me staying on it, well in the practice laps at least!! Luckily at this point, two friends of a friend who had been detailed to find me and make sure I was ok rolled up, took me round for some more laps, gave me some hints…steep bank climb now sussed… and even adjusted my tyre pressure, no you don’t ride road tyre pressure ;) 

Anyway, whistle blew, line up for the start and away we went. Just like a crit as I had been warned. But you know what, I loved it from the moment the race started. I even overtook a few people! Ok, I ate sand in the bunker, yes fell off in it, and more than once (bruises to prove it!)  -  blew up big time after 20mins and wondered how on earth I was going to get to 45mins, but I sussed the bank, managed the small drop offs, and finished with a big smile on my face. Oh yes I’ll be back for more.

Thanks for reading

Until next time

Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment