Sunday 12 April 2015

Alexandra Tour of the Reservoir, view from the back


Having being out of the country for the last four and a bit years, I think I had vaguely heard somewhere about ‘The Tour of the Reservoir’, and didn’t really look in too much detail when it was suggested that we enter this race as a team. Sounded like a good jolly for the weekend, so I completed the online entry form, clicked send, and other than putting the race in my diary more or less forgot about it…. until.......April 1…..Tour of the Reservoir startsheet……….(queue menacing music)……
You know when you read something, feel the colour drain from your face, re-read it hoping you had misread it….that was me! ‘Gulp’ as Sandra put it when she saw the startsheet!! I think I might have used another four letter word but she being from the South is rather politer than me!!  
So the weekend rolled in, travel plans in place with Izie picking me up, tropical conditions on the Friday, tee shirt, sunnies, oh yes, bring on those two stages. I was ready or so I thought.

A very easy drive up to Northumberland, singing along to the radio - ok its always easy when you are the passenger and the driver is good, no white knuckle ride here – bag drop at the accommodation, and then a pre-ride of stage 1 with Lou, who knew where the course was.


 I think it is a fairly correct statement to say that the terrain was hilly, and the 5 mile out to the first course started with a steep hill…proper steep! Good job that’s in the neutralised section I thought to myself as Izie and Lou blasted up it while I grovelled on my lowest gear. So a spin round the short 1.8 mile course (10 laps of for anyone who thinks that girls only race over 2 miles or so!) and it looked pretty ok  -  bit draggy in places and gravelly, but yes, I could handle that……well for 1 lap anyway!! By this time, it was beginning to get later than we really wanted, so with Izie doing her best rally driver impression - that girl really can drive – we clogged it back to the accommodation. Nic, I give you a big fat 15 out of 10 for picking this place, it was stunning, not to mention the well-stocked bar upstairs…and no it didn’t get messy before any of you readers think otherwise!! Now, to cut a long story short, even Izie’s rally driving didn’t allow us to make the cut-off for the ‘food-served’ time in the pubs of the North - 8.30. what’s that all about? -  so we dined in style, visiting the local co-op for provisions and cooking up 5 star meals in the kitchen area of our chalet. Shame we forgot to shut the fridge properly……..

Breakfasting early, after dealing with the wrath of the chalet owner for leaving the fridge open, we left for stage1.  I can honestly say that we really had put 110% team effort into trying to find a decent weather forecast, but again they were all unanimous on wet and cold conditions to start the day, with the wind picking up. All accurate. Unfortunately. On the start line, full winter kit, shivering….is this really the same month as yesterday?....and off we went. Up the first hill, not too bad (gasp wheeze!) rolling along quite happily, and then the flag dropped. Now bear in mind that I am old enough to be the mother of a lot of my fellow racers, so starting flat out isn’t happening these days, and it didn’t take long before I was wheezing and gasping like an asthmatic with my legs refusing to go at the speed required on the hilly few miles to the circuit start. Needless to say, I was spat out the back, along with team mate Sandra, who totally understands what I mean!

 It’s very strange how under race effort something that seemed so easy yesterday when gently rolling along, suddenly changes to include Mount Everest not to mention the increasing wind strength adding an extra dimension of fun in other parts of the lap. Stage one complete, with even a mention
by the commentator for Sandra and myself discussing team tactics ( try chat!!) as we went through the start-finish area on one of the circuits, I was more than happy to finish this stage in one piece, and still smiling. One stage down, one to go! 

The rest of Saturday passed by in the luxury surroundings of our accommodation, with a nice meal in a local pub and a quick bit of sight-seeing at Hadrian’s Wall, even if none of us actually knew what the wall had been for. History never was my strongest point. Weather forecasts’ for Sunday, again were checked hourly, with Izie at one point saying ‘Dad says it will snow here’. I didn’t really clock it at the time. How stupid of me! Forearmed is forewarned as the saying goes! 

And so onto Sunday and stage 2. It was dry when we awoke, the sky fairly bright, windy yes, cold yes, but overall not too bad I thought. Until I saw the sun - ’glishy’ is the Swaledale term for it, difficult to explain, but basically too bright too early, and it only means one thing, rain! And yes it did rain initially in the race. Then sleet, then snow. (#shouldhavelistened)

Stage 2 start was a re-run of yesterday for me, with Izie attacking to drive the initial pace up. And it really was carnage! The field split from the gun, (if there’d been one that is!) crashes, abandonments, tears, near hypothermia for many with the conditions, but on we rode, freezing conditions in the snow and wind.

 Sometimes becoming split from the leading groups can work to your advantage and this was one such time, not being able to feel hands, feet or legs! After climbing what felt like a nearly vertical road for the third time, it was with relief that several of us (me included!) were sent back to the HQ rather than completing the last lap. Several cups of tea downed, dry clothing on, warmed up, Lou and Nic arrived back totally and utterly frozen and shattered having completed the full 4 laps.  Hats off to them, 100 % respect for their efforts and overall results for the two days of 23rd and 34th respectively. Great work girls! 

And so the weekend drew to a close, with the trip home, the inevitable unpacking…..why is it never so much fun as packing…bike to clean (no its not done yet!) and the thought of Monday morning and work coming closer. 
Thanks girls for a great and memorable weekend and Stewart for making the trip up to support us all on the stage today, not to mention the time spent this week sorting the extra kit for us all. 

And on that note, I shall bring this blog to a close. 

Safe riding all! 

Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment