Friday 27 March 2015

Tour ta Malta Stage 2 - San Martin Road Race (two rider blog)

With a forecast of rain and 60kph winds it was a relief to wake up to a few bits of blue sky although the dull grey clouds were looming ominously!
We rolled out behind the car to the San Martin circuit.  Izie suddenly disappeared! Turned out she had punctured! Not the best of starts.
We arrived at the start line about an hour before the official start.  It was still looking good weather wise although the roads were wet.  As we lined up for the off we could feel a few spots of rain...uh oh!  The roads in Malta are mostly limestone and turn into an ice rink when wet which coupled with the huge potholes and gravel could get nasty!  Luckily a few spots was as bad as it got.

Lap 1 and things were a bit dicey with Maltese riders randomly attacking and the first 'off' of the day at the bottom of the first descent - a reminder that we needed to be cautious!
First time up the climb and things were steady.  I ended up on the front but rode a comfy tempo aiming to give Izie a good wheel to follow.  At the top of the climb we turned into a strong headwind and with no one willing to set the pace things slowed and some riders dropped on the climb made it back.  The field had thinned and there were around 11 in the front group.
Descent and gravelly corner taken successfully again, it was time to climb and the pace started to get a bit faster.  As we turned onto the climb I heard a shout from Izie but couldn't tell if she was telling me to cover the girl who was setting the quicker pace or if something had happened.  Turned out she punctured again!!
The rest of my race was quite uneventful.  Once the group had whittled to 7 including most of the GC contenders it was obvious with the wind direction that a lone break wouldn't stick so it all came down to the final climb.
I got a bit over-excited and attacked at the very bottom.  This split things up but the 2 girls that bridged then attacked me and got a small gap which try as I might, I couldn't seem to close.  In the end I was 4 secs off the win with bigger gaps behind.
That leaves me 23 secs down on the GC leader but only 3 secs in front of 3rd with over 30 secs to 4th.  2 stages left and tomorrow we are off to the Isle of Gozo!  I am very much hoping the sun finally stays out!

Finally massive respect to Izie for continuing to race to the line and still finishing in a respectable position despite awful mechanical luck - a show of real gutsy riding!

Lou



So no rain luckily, just roads a little damp early on, as we set out for San Martins course.  Lou, myself and Stuy managed to get to front of bunch following the lead car out from hotel, but sadly I didn't get too far :(.  We got half a mile maybe form hotel before I punctured!  Luckily Steve very kindly offered to take our spare wheels and was following convoy in car, so thankfully I made it to the start!
Quick wheel change and Stuy turned from mechanic to loyal domestique and paced me back to the main group before they had even got to the course. 
Race time and Jaden quickly set pace.  Lou and I got to front, and I was very keen to lead down the decent.  We had been warned that the bottom right hand junction at bottom climb was wet.  This was proved true, with the first crash on that very corner, luckily we all manged to avoid it, as she had attacked of front of bunch on decent.
First time up climb and i decided to follow GB Cycles rider Gabriella, knowing she was a strong climber.  It wasn't long before Lou came to front and set a good pace to follow.  Top of first climb and the bunch had whittled down to 8 or 9 of us in front group and i felt comfortable on climb too.  Next lap and bottom of climb......................another puncture!!!!  Today just wasn't my day :( 
I shouted to Lou at bottom of climb, hoping she could relay message to Stuy at top for wheel.  I continued to ride, riding most of climb on rear flat :/ still managing to catch one of the men in other race!  Part way up climb and Brent saw I had puncture and relayed ahead message, and so Stuy was able to get part way down climb with wheel!  New wheel and on with my solo TT for the next 5 laps :/!  Catching a few here and there, and was very pleased to pass and leave behind one local Malteser as she had supposedly beaten me in previous day's TT!

Anyway not much to say, i rode, i finished, Stuy had a busy day and Lou came a super 3rd place, and maintained her place of 2nd on GC!  Tomorrow Gozo and a lovely 5am get up for ferry!

Izie x

No comments:

Post a Comment